Thursday, May 10, 2007

As My Hair Grows My Appetite Returns

The fuzz on my head (pictured) is definitely getting...well, fuzzier. I noticed this last week for the first time. I was running my hand over my head when I felt this stuff like kitten fluff. I ran to the mirror, trying to see on my head what I could only feel. But there was nothing to see. Later, Kirk said he could see the tiny hairs, when they were in a certain light.

It wasn't until I was in Ross shopping for t-shirts that I actually saw the hairs for the first time. I guess the light was hitting the top of my head just right in the dressing room, but I finally saw the hairs.

Now, they're much longer (comparatively) and I just love to feel them there.

Nobody loses their hair in the allogeneic transplant, so I'll likely be able to stop wearing this old black hat before long. I love the wigs I've got, but summer heat is setting in...and it's just too itchy. Oh, well. I like to keep the wigs around in case the mood strikes me. But I know fairly soon I won't need them at all.

One of the people I met on floor 10 (where they do allos) at MD Anderson was a young woman who'd lost her hair 19 months ago during treatment for Lymphoma. She now has beautiful hair somewhere between her chin and her shoulder. It reminded me of the hair I had when it was that length. Blond and curly. She showed pictures of herself when she was bald, just as a point of reference. For some reason, it was so encouraging.

Hair is more important to me than I ever dreamed. I know one thing I'll never "dis" my own hair again. I did that a lot before.

As my hair grows, my appetite returns. I still forget to eat, which isn't good. But I do get hungry. Food tastes better, too. I ate steak last night with sweet potatoes and green beans. For the first time, I actually wanted to eat it all and more! It's great to have something so simple back in my life: the ability to eat and enjoy the food.

I'm also getting to where I'm MUCH less depressed. In fact, I could probably say that I'm NOT depressed most of the time. Every once in a while, I'll get a little sad about something, but then God removes it from me. I know this because I ask Him to and He is always faithful to do what I ask.

God is good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi sherry! one thing i thought i'd share.. i've been trying to get my hair to grow faster, and a good combination that works for me is to take prenatal vitamins (you and kirk can stop getting excited, it's only for the mega-doses of vitamin B complexes) along with a separate pill for folic acid. folic acid is usually in your prenatal or multi-vitamins, but i find that the combo of B's, AND about 100-150% of your daily allowance of follic acid has my hair growing like a weed! :)

email me if you want to ask me anything, but i just thought i'd toss that out there. happy mother's day!

Sherry said...

Thanks for the idea. I'm already taking folic acid for something else, so that's good to know. I'll probably go for the pre-natal vitamins as well. Right now I'm taking Centrum.

Nice to hear from you!

Sherry said...

BTW, funkia, we WILL be excited if you HAVE to take those pills for...well, you know.