Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Have You Been Through An Allogeneic Transplant?

In James 1:5 there's a verse, I find comforting. It says--

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

I've been quiet about it, but I am part of a trial. It involves what is called tandem transplant protocol in which I first take on an autologous transplant (just completed,) then, withing 120 days take on another transplant. In my case, for the second transplant, I can choose between an auto (again) or an allogeneic transplant. I can choose what is called an allo-transplant (hence the term allo-geneic) because my only sister is a match for my bone marrow.

But I lack wisdom about transplants. Especially allo-transplants. Not because I haven't read everything I can about the allo, but because the complications for the allo are vast and I do not know what doing the allo will bring. For one, I could die. About 10% do. For another, I could get a terrible case of graft vs. host disease, which can be as mild as a rash that eventually goes away or as severe as disfigurement or worse, loss of mobility. What's more--the allo-transplant will take four months.

I need wisdom, though I feel that, my request to God concerning the allo-transplant, has been answered. As God answered when I asked about the auto-transplant. For I was eventually at peace about the auto. Concerning the allo, I have no such peace.

But I continue to ask God for wisdom because, as the verse says, God gives generously to ALL. Even better, God doesn't hold it against me for continuing to ask. There is no fault in asking God over and over again. So I do. And I know I will receive wisdom from God concerning whether I should go through the second transplant. That's because God's been good to give me the same wisdom about the auto.

I am asking that if you lack wisdom, you would pray with me--ask God to continue giving me wisdom, in one way or another, for or against the allo. And, if you have wisdom concerning the allo-transplant, I ask that you share it with me. This is especially for those who have actually gone through an allo-transplant. Or, if you've gone through just an auto-transplant...please share your story.

I'm also going to (finally) attend the Myeloma group at Gilda's Place to see what others, who have gone through this, might suggest.

Thank you for your help.

No comments: