Monday, April 30, 2007

My Visit With Michael Reid

In November of last year, when I'd just been diagnosed, I discovered on one of the Christian stations Michael Reid's ministry. At that time, I liked to avoid Christian television because the preachers and teachers there were clearly not of God. I could see it in their manner, the way they talked, the way they walked across the stage. Something was not quite right just about the way they acted in front of the camera.

Amid all this hoopla, Michael Reid's television program stood out. The first program I saw was of a woman giving an account of her healing from an eye disease, which was destined to take her sight. Michael and his wife, Ruth, sat on the couch opposite asking questions and listening. I watched the program more and found the discussions informative and thought-provoking, such that I started mentioning it to Kirk.

At the time, Kirk and I were really struggling to find a church that we liked. I remember saying to him that the spirit I felt from Michael Reid's church was what I wanted to find in Frisco. Then I told him about the programs I had managed to catch randomly. A few days later, I decided to write a a prayer request e-mail to the Reid ministry. In the e-mail, I explained my diagnosis and asked for prayer. I think I also asked if there was any church in my area which might be affiliated with their ministry. About two days later, I received a response. This began an e-mail exchange between me and a woman named Meidre.

Though I had written other e-mails asking for prayer from other ministries, this was the first time I had felt as if someone actually really cared about what me and my family were going through. Eventually, in one of these e-mails I mentioned that I lived in the Dallas area. Almost immediately, Miedre offered that Michael and Ruth Reid were scheduled to be in Tulsa over the Thanksgiving holiday and would surely be willing to pray for me if I could come there.

I said I was interested, then she sent me two phone numbers for contacting Ruth, who made all of Michael's appointments. She said she'd spoken with Ruth about my situation and that she'd be looking for my call when they were back in the states.

Well, Thanksgiving week came and went, but I did not call. I'm not sure why. I think I realized it just wasn't going to be possible, since I was going to Sante Fe for Thanksgiving. For some reason, at the time, it just didn't seem that urgent.

I never forgot about the offer though and found myself one day about a week ago making the call. To my amazement, Ruth called back within the hour. We talked for almost an hour. And just talking to her--a cancer survivor herself--was really encouraging. A few more calls later and the appointment was set. I had their address and was set to make the three-hour trek.

Kirk and I decided we'd make an adventure of it. We'd camp out in the pop-up some place near Tulsa, then drive into Tulsa for my 2:30PM appointment with the Reids. We left Friday after Kirk was home from work.

Late that night, we pulled into Arrowhead State Park. There was plenty of spaces, so we set up in the one that looked the nicest. Little did we know that in the morning we would awaken to a beautiful view of trees overlooking an enormous lake. The next morning, we started toward Tulsa.

Once there, we found the Reid's house in a neighborhood of nice houses with an English air to them. It was still early, so we drove around Tulsa for a bit. At 2:30PM on the dot, we walked up to the front door and knocked. Through the etched glass of the door, I could see Michael Reid coming to the door with Ruth behind him.

There was nothing fake about these people. They shook both of our hands warmly and welcomed us in to sit in their living room. Ruth started by saying that I should tell Michael my story and that the story she had shared about her own cancer had given me confirmation that I needed to go ahead with the transplant. I corrected her then, saying that I wasn't sure of that confirmation and that what I wanted, of course, was complete healing. She said, oh, I'm sorry I thought that's what you said. And I realized that this was the main gist of the conversation we'd had. That she had gone through an aggressive treatment for breast cancer after being prayed for by Michael--much more aggressive than she could have received in England it turned out.

Then the conversation shifted somewhat. I told my story of the cancer. How I found out. The treatment I'd already received. And on. I told them about our struggle to find a good church. I talked about Hope Chapel, the last good church I'd been a member of. I told him about how the church had eventually fallen apart because of in-fighting between the pastor and the elders. Then I talked about feeling lost for a while, then trying this doctrine and that for a series of years. He had personal relationships and opinions about all the ministers I mentioned, until I began to see that Michael Reid had a much simpler approach to faith and grace.

As I became more comfortable, Michael began to talk to me about my anxiety, my fears and my concerns. He said many things about God's grace, power, faith. What amazed me was the simplicity of his message. You can trust God. God loves you. Grace is a free-gift, just as healing is.

I remember at one point describing to Michael the hair I'd once had: long, blonde, curly and beautiful. "And you'll get it back," he said. I expressed concerns about caregivers, since the procedure would require me to have someone with me in Houston. I was concerned that Kirk would not be able to be there the entire three months. Michael said, "If God can make the world in six days, don't you think he can do something as simple as find you a caregiver?"

When we had been there over two hours, Michael said he was going to lay hands on me and pray. He said the prayer would be simple, but the effect would be great. I can hardly remember the specifics of the prayer, only that I felt as if he prayed for everything in me that needed healing, not just the cancer. Even as he prayed, I was filled with a wonderful peace. After so many months of anxiety, that was a great relief. We said our goodbyes and I left knowing that God was in control and that I was going to be healed through the transplant and through God's intervention in the cancer.

It is still a process. The trip back to the campsite I was touched by brief moments of worry. Would the anxiety come back? But I kept remember his statement, "God loves you. He healed Ruth and He's healed you. In fact He healed you two thousand years ago. For by his stripes, my bible says, we are healed." As Kirk drove, I was quiet and thoughtful. I remembered again Michael saying, "I believe cancer should be treated aggressively. Listen to your doctors. They have wisdom for your healing. Healing is God's gift. Accept it and move on with your life. It's nothing to God to heal cancer. Just move on with your life."

Michael and Ruth gave me stacks of DVD's, books and even his latest book, which I mentioned in passing. I started reading one of the books in the car. It, too, filled me with hope, since Michael is known throughout England and other parts of the world as a great healer. When we arrived at the campsite, I lay down on the bed and went to sleep, even though it was early. I was just so relieved.

The next morning, I awoke still at peace. I sat outside in the morning sun reading, when I realized I wasn't wearing my reading glasses! I got up from the camp chair. Maybe the print in that book was large. I found smaller print and found I could read it, too! I had just been reading in my bible the day before, I was unable to make out the small print. I called out to Kirk my new discovery and I haven't worn my reading glasses since.

I believe God gave me the miracle of renewed sight, so that I could rest in the big healing the transplant and Michael's prayer would do. For most doctors don't say that the allogeneic will make it so the cancer never comes back. I think differently now. I believe I will be cured.

1 comment:

kavya sharma said...

Really Good blog. Keep up the good work guys..Thanks for sharing Varieties of herbs