Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Update

Today I received clarification on insurance issues involving the allogeneic transplant and a re-evaluation at the Myeloma Institute in Arkansas. Insurance issues aside, the main concern is and will continue to be until I know for sure, whether or not the allo is something I should do at all. Setting aside those concerns, however, I can now see in part what my options are.

Insurance will not pay for a tandem transplant, unless I do it with MD Anderson. Under the auspices of a trial, Aetna was able to approve payment for the 2nd transplant. If I were to go anywhere else for the allo, I would not longer be part of the trial as it is set up at MDA.

With this new information, I felt it would still be good to get a consultation from the Myeloma Institute in Arkansas. Aetna will not pay for a full repeat work-up and re-evaluation at Arkansas, though they would pay for a consultation. Unfortunately, Arkansas will not do a consultation without also doing new MRI's, surveys, biopsies and whatever. So, if I want to be re-evaluated by Arkansas, I'll have to wait for another time.

When it comes to completing the allo-transplant in Houston, work situation has been, for me, an issue. I know that my health is ultimately most important, but I cannot help but see this as a major concern. Then it occurred to me recently: I've been trying to figure out the caregiver situation without reaching out to family and friends for caregiver coverage of the weeks that Kirk cannot be in Houston. I want to remedy that. So I'm asking for your help.

The procedure will take at least 100 days. From looking at information given to me by MD Anderson, the really intense time in the procedure is the first six weeks. The rest of the time is maintenance. I can't know right now how much time Kirk can give. My mom has said she can come to Houston for one week at a time. Perhaps one week in July and one week in August.

So, here's my query for friends and family reading this blog: is there a block of time you could give to be my caregiver while I'm in treatment at MD Anderson? If I do the allo, it will start most likely in mid or late May, then extend through the summer months. This is fortuitous since more people seem to have time in the summer than at other times of the year. I would think that caregiver help would most be needed starting with July and including August and possibly a few weeks in September.

For my peace of mind, if you can help, please e-mail me (swilder@ccccd.edu). I feel as if this is so much to ask...and it may not be necessary. But I've got to figure out what my options are as May 7th draws near.

No comments: