Thursday, April 26, 2007

Reaching Out to Old Friends

For more than ten years, I attended a church in Austin called Hope Chapel. The memory of this church I attended right after graduating from UT has, in recent weeks, returned to me. Especially one man, who was an elder there, named Armond. There were others--roommates, friends, mentors, teachers--I remember with fondness, but Armond was really special.

It's incidental to this story, but I remember once coming to him frightened that I wasn't going to be able to pay my rent. Without hesitation he asked, how much do you need? I had to think about it, but finally came out with my answer. Within seconds the amount I needed was being handed to me. "How can I repay you?" I stammered. "You won't. It's a gift. You need it? It's yours." And that was just one example of Armond's graciousness, not just concerning money, but his time and energy.

Today, I decided to google his name. The first entry that popped up (amazingly) was a string asking for prayer for Armond in 2004 concerning some vertigo he was experiencing. The string originated from a church I'd never heard of in Austin, but I quickly googled the church and found its phone number. Not expecting to get anyone, I immediately found myself talking to someone in the office of Red River Church, who happily gave me a phone number for Armond. She also told me the news I couldn't believe: Armond's wife, Jo, had passed away two years before.

To my surprise, I also discovered that Renee, an old friend and roommate of mine from those days, is the wife of the pastor for Red River Church! And I was able to get her phone number, too. But, unfortunately, Renee, too, was reeling with an unbelievable development: she has a rare form of cancer that has somehow progressed to Stage IV.

I was stunned.

The call to Armond was everything I hoped it would be. For he is a very wise man. We must have talked for forty-five minutes. He had so many things to tell me that brought peace to my heart. At the end, we prayed together on the phone.

I also had the chance to talk to Renee. As it turned out, she will be at MD Anderson at the same time I'm going on May 7th. We talked a long time, as she explained her situation. I still can't believe it, but she's been suffering with a type of skin cancer called MF. We talked about healing and she shared that she had a blog. I went to it while we were talking on the phone. It is http://reneesmf.blogspot.com.

When I hung up, I found myself praying hard for Renee. She is one of my favorite people, and such an incredible person. She has three children in their teens. I prayed for her so hard...well, it was unbelievable. I felt my heart turn to a faith that came from a bright and sweet place so deep in my spirit that it's hard for me to describe.

I felt the presence of God and was filled with hope...for Renee but also for myself.

2 comments:

pupalo said...

wow.. what a great story.. i remember armand also.. he was always so sweet and kind..

who is renee? was that the renee that fritz used to go out with?

carolyn

Sherry said...

Yes, the same Renee we knew at Hope Chapel. She worked in the office there for many years...was in my wedding.