Monday, April 23, 2007

UAMS: The Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy

On May 7th I have a follow-up appointment with my transplant team at MD Anderson. If I were going to continue with the 2nd allo-transplant, I'd probably start it on that date, as well. Whatever the case, I've got to continue with follow-up visits there for three more months.

There are three concerns I have about doing the 2nd transplant (if I do it at all) at MD Anderson. (I vacillate a lot about this, so bear with me.)

One, being in Houston for the 3-4 months it would take to complete the allo-transplant is daunting for family reasons. Two, I am beginning to have personal concerns about MD Anderson. Three, I have pretty much decided that the Myeloma Institute in Arkansas has a more expert opinion about MM and my own further diagnosis/treatment (if I need it.)

I've made appointments at the clinic in Arkansas, as well as Baylor here in Dallas. Even though I'm confident that I'm in remission now, I want to consult about the 2nd transplant with people in the know. That means visiting with the doctors at Baylor and, more importantly, going through a whole new battery of tests in Arkansas. The tests at Arkansas would take five days, so I'm having to see if my mom can stay with me for during some of that time. Kirk can come later and have to take less time off from work.

I'm leaning toward consultation at Arkansas more because they are experts in Multiple Myeloma. If interested, you should check out their website:

http://www.uams.edu/

There's a particularly compelling video on the home page that I recommend. It gives their success rates for complete remission, and they sound very good indeed. My interaction so far with the Arkansas clinic has been quite positive. They are much more about individualized attention than I experienced at MD Anderson overall.

I mean, MDA did a good job on the auto-transplant. I thank them for that. The nurses I depended on were especially wonderful. But there is incredible information to be gained from the Arkansas clinic--information specific to Multiple Myeloma.

Meanwhile, I'm feeling pretty good, both emotionally and physically. I reach out to God daily and feel more and more the peace which surpasses understanding. I know I'll make the right decision. As I am already beginning to do.

No comments: