Thursday, July 5, 2007

A Cat and a Spool of Thread

Kirk arrived in Houston as planned despite our cat who managed to get himself into a (literal) bind by swallowing almost half a spool of thread. Thankfully, Kirk got him to the vet in time. The cat did end up having to be knocked out while the vet tried to carefully pull out the thread. Unfortunately, he had swallowed just too much, so he had to have the ball of string surgically removed. It had even gone into his intestine a little. But he is recovering at the vet's even as I speak and Kirk cut his visit short to go an tend to him. Good for the cat, but not so good for me...since I only had a few days with Kirk before he has to turn around and go back to Dallas. Kirk promised to return as soon as possible, so I'm okay.

My counts on the 4th of July were very good, though the Magnesium could still be higher. My white blood was actually in the normal range! Everyone is pleased with my progress (by God's grace.) I have finally started to feel as if I have more energy. I even got an unexpected migraine, which usually means other things are returning to normal in my body. Though I hated having the migraine, it was a nice sign that my cycle may be returning to me. They gave me a bunch of meds in my IV to help me with it on Wednesday...so many meds that I had to be wheeled out to the car by Kirk. I think I fell asleep in the chair in the elevator. Of course, even those meds did not knock out the migraine until I had really slept for a bit at home. Then, like in the old days, my migraine returned and I was able to catch it soon enough and bring it under control.

Today, I actually had enough energy to go shopping with mom and Kirk! Then we ate out at a Mexican food restaurant with few patrons (for some reason...even though it's very good.) Thank you, Jesus. I feel almost normal again. It doesn't hurt to walk. My muscles aren't sore. I am eating well. Not like I used to eat, but my appetite is really good. I also sleep well most nights.

My former sister-in-law, Lynn, called out of the blue. She is a caregiver and may know someone in this area who could be paid to help me out in the month of August...which is still a blank slate in terms of having someone with me during the days of the week through Thursday. It was so great talking to her. She is one of the most angelic women I've ever known in all my life. She's amazing! She lived in this area for some time and promised to contact her church to see if they know of someone I could pay for care.

Insurance at Kirk's work has now switched to United Health Care, but it looks as if the coverage for lodging during a transplant is the same as it was under Aetna. It took FOREVER for me to get to the person who knew this information, but I finally got it figured out. There was a problem with one of the antibiotics being covered because it needed "pre-approval," but somehow it was worked out.

Thanks to all of you who've been praying me to wellness. I ask God daily to bless you in whatever way you specifically need blessing. It is a very good thing you have done for me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

No comments: