Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Correction and Notice

In my last entry, I said that I would start being alone Sunday night through Thursday afternoons next week--the week of July 15th. That was incorrect. It actually begins the week of July 22nd. What was I thinking? Jacob will not go back to Dallas until July 22nd. That is so he can get his backpacking equipment packed and ready for his big trip with his dad to the Grand Canyon, which I believe starts July 29th. They both are hiking together down to Phantom Ranch for a night, then taking two nights to hike out. On the way, Jacob's dad has planned some visits with Vernon's sister and my mom/Lisa, Randy and Sam in New Mexico.

However, when I mentioned to Dr. Popat that I would be without a caregiver Sundays through Thursdays, he said it was really not an acceptable arrangement. It's important, he said, to have someone with you, who can help during those sudden downturns in health. I have already experienced that a couple of times and was lucky enough to have Kirk or Jacob with me, so I got what Dr. Popat was saying.

Thankfully, my dad has offered to pay for a caregiver. I am so honored by this...and grateful. So, in light of this, I've started putting the word out to friends and family who have connections with persons who are able to do this in the Houston or surrounding areas.

What I'm looking for is someone who can live with me Sunday nights through Thursday mornings or afternoons starting July 22nd or 29th, 2007 and probably continuing until the end of August--about 4-5 weeks. This person would not need to stay weekends, but if they needed to they certainly could. The apartment I'm living in is very nice and has an 2nd bedroom with a bathroom to its own. What I need is a nurturing companion type of person who can do some light cleaning and cooking around the apartment. On days when I go to M D Anderson, this person would need to drive me there and stay with me in my room, perhaps running light errands in the clinic, but mostly just staying with me for the hours I am receiving treatment. Pay would be commiserate with experience, but this person does not need to have nursing capabilities.

If you are connected to a church in the Houston area, even as far as Austin, and know someone who is interested, please contact me by e-mail (swilder@ccccd.edu) or phone (if you know it) and let me know. Or interested persons may inquire themselves. Someone with a upbeat, nurturing personality would be best. References may be necessary for those inquiring with connections to old friends or family.

Now, I should also tell you that today was a really good day in terms of my counts. All of them were UP today. My white blood was actually normal, and red blood was not far behind. The Magnesium was high enough for me to take a smaller infusion home with me for tomorrow. Praise God! Kirk comes tomorrow and I can hardly wait. I feel as if I haven't seen him in forever.

No comments: