Monday, July 16, 2007

New Digs

I discovered on Sunday that I have the opportunity to move into an apartment that overlooks a lake here at the apartments. There are many aspects of this apartment with a view that I think will help my recovery. For one, I'll be able to comfortably have breakfast on the patio because the position of the apartment in relation to the rising and setting of the sun is more favorable. Secondly, it is on the first floor, more central to the fitness center and all the walkers and runners who regularly visit the lake in the evenings. I know this will inspire me to walk more as well as help me not to feel so isolated. I have a bicycle that I haven't been able to use since being on the third floor means having to carry it down several flights of stairs. In a first floor apartment near a riding path, I'll more easily be able to ride the bike. The nicest of all three pools in the complex is also closer to this other apartment. Even though I can't really swim at this point, I find it can be a very nice experience to go down to the pool area when the sun is not too high and read.

So on Sunday I'll be moving into this new apartment. My address will be the same, except for the apartment number. It will be #1116.

Tuesday I'm getting together with a nice girl Lynn hooked me up with, who may work out well as a caregiver for me during my last month/month and a half of time here in Houston. She's going to come by my room on at the ATC unit on the 10th floor around 2PM on Tuesday. Then we'll discuss the arrangement we'd have if she were my caregiver and try to catch up. The last time I saw her she was probably around 6-8 years old and it was at a funeral for Vernon's nephew in Mississippi.

There is another pet problem going on at home, I found out last night. This time it is our dog, Cassy, who has apparently started to urinate uncontrollably in the house. Some of the urine, according to Kirk, appears to have blood in it. So Cassy is at the vet's right now. I think it has been just too much for our animals these past few months since Kirk and I have had to be in Houston so much. I'm sure they are missing their masters (especially me). Neighbors have been so kind to step up and give love and care to our pets on weekends Kirk has come to Houston, but the stress may be starting to affect them in ways I'd never really considered.

Otherwise, I'm in good spirits and feeling good this morning, especially knowing I'll soon be living in an apartment that better suits my needs in these last few weeks of my treatment.

Oh, I'm not sure I mentioned this. According to the last report, my bone marrow is now 93% Lisa. I thrilled at this on many levels. The main being that my myeloid cells, which were infected with the cancer, are now almost completely replaced by my sister's cells. And my sister's cells do not accept cancer. Instead they fight it. The result is I've noticed a few mild side effects, which may or may not be GVHD. Some doctors believe a mild form of Graft vs. Host actually facilitates the Graft vs. Myeloma effect--something that is very good for a long term cure. Mostly I seem to have a slight rash that itches hardly at all and some intestinal issues that may actually be more related to a new medication I started last week. Whatever the case, I feel confident that I've been given a new start on life with Lisa's cells. And they are taking over so quickly. So like Lisa, you know. To take over so quickly. (Just joking.)

Prayer requests: Cassy (our dog) for her health; me for mild GVHD, if I get it at all and that my liver is protected and mended by the meds I'm taking; Kirk for his ability to bring the big accounts he's slaving away on to fruition; Jacob and Vernon for their safety and fun at Grand Canyon; Julie and me that we would "click" and that she will work out as a caregiver.

Praise reports: my headaches bother me less and less; 93%!; Martin (our cat) doing better; Friday I had a reaction to an IV med, but it was easily managed with an IV of Benadryl.

No comments: