Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Dreams of Hair

When I had my visit with Michael Reid, I told him about the long and curly blond hair I had before the high dose chemotherapy. Both he and his wife said, "You'll get it back and more!"

Since then, I've had dreams that I wake up and my hair has grown incredibly. Last night and the night before, I dreamed I had long hair again. Interestingly, in one dream I was watching a movie with gang members. In another, I was with a motorcycle gang, talking to them. In both dreams, I wasn't afraid...not of them...or germs. (Believe it or not I still worry about being around big crowds of people because of germs.)

But the most significant aspect of the dream was my hair, which was past by shoulders, blond and wavy. I kept running my hand through it.

This obsession with hair in my waking and sleeping worlds, for me, reveals how focused I am on healing. For I now know that for hair to grow, you've got to be healthy. (I'm not talking about male pattern balding...that's different.) But after losing hair to chemo, it's clear that the chemo is starting to clear out of your system when your hair grows.

I now have a pretty decent smattering of something that looks like a fuzzy 5 o'clock shadow all over my head.

No comments: