Saturday, May 5, 2007

Two-Day Trip to MD Anderson

Sunday morning, probably before the sun comes up, Kirk and I will be heading to Houston. My first "appointment" is on Sunday at 9:45AM to give blood/specimens. Monday: fast track to give another blood specimen, then a meeting with the stem cell transplant team. I decided I wanted to consult also with Dr. Weber, my myeloma doctor, about the allogeneic transplant. Kirk and I will be listening carefully, taking notes, and considering options. What I am mostly looking forward to is getting the results from the blood/specimen tests because I know they're going to be excellent.

Our lodging arrangements are a bit haywire. Since we have Sunday night at the Rotary and Monday night at Springhill. Rotary is nicer generally. We save on parking when we stay there, but so far their booked for Monday. But I find we can usually "extend" if we want to.

I am both nervous and calm, which is a strange combination. It's usually an emotional experience for me to go to MD Anderson. I think it has something to do with simply having to face the cancer head on, as if I were playing chicken. That is the only way I can describe it. That is the feeling I'm managing, even now as I write.

Despite this, there is also a level of knowing that lies under the emotions. I know all is well, even though I don't feel that way every minute of the day. Sometimes I think it is just my stomach and not my emotions at all. A little bit of nausea. A little ache in my stomach. These are things I associate with emotional pain, but they could also just be physical. I'm eating more these days, but my stomach is still not quite ready for it. That may be part of the problem.

Anyway, life and God are good. I have my family home with me today. This is all very good.

No comments: