Monday, May 14, 2007

Fellowship in the Wilderness

During my first and second year at the University of Texas in Austin, I lived on a floor in Blanton dorm that was half evangelical Christian and half party animal. Both groups had their network of friends that stretched across the university like vines of ivy that sometimes intertwined. Since I was into the punk rock scene at first, I was a party animal despite having many evangelical friends. I think for me the change over to evangelical started happening when I realized I could have as much fun with the evangelicals, but not have to deal with a hang over the next morning.

Christians in the 80's at UT Austin were like that. Like the girls in the song, they just wanted to have fun. Many nights I spent hanging out with these crazy evangelicals who wanted to study the bible, pray and sing until the wee hours of the night on weekends. It got even funner when the Holy Spirit movement caught on. Our energy for joy was boundless. Instead of going to 6th street to drink, my friends would go there to chat about God with anyone who was interested. Lots of people were saved, and it was fun making it happen.

It got really fun when punk rock Christian groups started forming bands! (I remember one group; they called themselves "One Bad Pig!")

I think, at the time, I had no idea how great I had it. Perhaps it was just a phenomena of the time and place, but my fellowship with other Christians just hasn't been the same since. It is as if I'm walking in a wasteland, I've sometimes said to Kirk. Lately I've been reaching out to friends who reside in pockets of fellowship all over the place. But, in contrast to my college experience, I've found only a few.

And I am fully aware that much of this has happened as a result of my own actions. But it is also the area and times in which I live, surrounded by neighborhoods without strong churches. I know it sounds judgmental on my part, but it's true--at least compared to my experiences in Austin. So I'm asking God to bring this joy back into my life.

Sometimes I think it is just a matter of degrees. I have friends I talk to regularly, and how I love them! I have a beautiful family. I even have a church now, filled with wonderful Christians who pray and believe the way my 80's Christian friends believed. But I remember a time when the church I belonged to had something going on every night of the week. In fact, if I ever wanted to talk to someone, there'd be someone at the church working on some project or another. The church was an ACTIVE place. Now I drive by churches and the parking lots are empty most days of the week. Even on Sundays, churches clear out rather quickly as soon as the service is over. I think everyone is just so overwhelmed with all they've got to do outside the church. They don't have time for enjoying each other.

So what can I do about this? Maybe it's already been done. That's because in two weeks I'll be in Houston for three months. In fact, I'll be sitting in a room connected to a bunch of other rooms filled with people going through the same thing I'm going through. Surely there can be a connection of fellowship in such a setting. For such, I'm also asking God.

2 comments:

pupalo said...

wow.. 3 months.. i should make a point of coming to houston to see you...

carolyn

Sherry said...

that would be awesome, girl!