Monday, May 21, 2007

Teacher Disability Retirement

I discovered today that because I was a public school teacher for 10+ years and, before that, worked in the state system while a student and after at UT Austin, I can retire with full benefits under a TRS of Texas disability program. Of course, it all depends on whether or not I'm approved, but I don't think there will be any problem. I can also receive full health care benefits (Aetna! which is what I have now) for as long as I remain on disability. Since, as an adjunct professor, I only work part-time anyway, I can go back to my job and stay on disability, if I want to. If I understand correctly, even when I get better, as long as I'm not working full time, I can continue to receive the pension and health care benefits.

I find this very exciting for several reasons.

One, I can get back to making my contribution to our family income. As an adjunct, I never made very much money...but I FEEL better when I can see that my income is being used for going to school or vacations.

Two, I can stop having to depend on Kirk's work for my health care. We do pay extra for me and Jacob to be covered, so that will be one less expense to cover. As well, I can receive these benefits for as long as I don't work full time in the school system. That is very nice and takes more stress off of Kirk, too.

Three, I can feel as if all those years I spent teaching public school are still helping me now. It's a lot of work being a teacher...when I left I was tired of the public school system. It's nice to see those years pay off in other ways.

I'm sure it will take some time for me to get all the forms filled out, but I really think this is going to help.

Thanks to Renee for reminding me of my benefits, since she retired recently from the state and got me thinking...if she can do it, why can't I?

Also, thanks to God having His hand on my life such that I continued to be a teacher for so long, even picking up a 1/2 semester job four years ago in Wylie. This means I am "active," because it was less than 5 years ago. This helps to expedite things. Thank you, God!

No comments: