Friday, May 18, 2007

God's Grace and Butterflies

Yesterday, I had lunch with a good friend from work. She is the main secretary for the professors, both full and part-time, in one of the buildings on the Preston Ridge Campus at Collin County Community College. When I was teaching, I'm sorry to say we only talked a little bit. I never really had time in those days to develop relationships with people. But since I took time to heal from cancer, we've grown closer.

She is a good friend to have here in this wasteland. When I first found out I had cancer, she was one of the first to pray with me. There are a few others at the college like her, but she means so much to me. I thank God for her.

It was a beautiful day, so we had lunch outside. I'd made us some sandwiches and a really simple trail mix. While we were talking, on three separate occasions a brown speckled butterfly came and landed directly in front of me on the table or on my hat. One of those butterflies had a mangled wing, but it flew the same as the other two: gracefully.

We both decided there was something special about those butterflies landing as they did on me when I would speak of the goodness of God. We'd talk about other things, then the conversation would drift back to the goodness of God...and here comes another butterfly.

Right now, I could use another one of those butterflies to get me through. But I'll take instead God's spirit, which rests on me as easily as those butterflies and gives me faith. So I can move filled with God's grace through everything that comes.

No comments: