Thursday, May 24, 2007

Thanks and Updates

Yesterday I received a wonderful gift from my aunt Dorothy. She walked in her hometown's relay to benefit cancer survivors for me. She also set up a candle, so that people would say a prayer for me as they walked past. She sent me the bag that held the candle and a t-shirt to commemorate her walk for me. Thank you, Dorothy! May God bless you continually for blessing me in this way. Apparently, Sonora, Texas is a huge contributor in the Relay for Life. Thank you, Sonora!

It's hard not to cry when I think of all the beautiful things my family has done (and is doing) to bring me through this. I am asking for God to bless all the people who've helped me...in the past when I went through the autologous stem cell transplant and now as I am preparing to go on to the allogeneic stem cell transplant.

It's not possible to list them all, but these are the ones who stand out:

My sister, who is donating her stem cells so I may have a better life (not to mention her coming to Houston for an entire week, as is required by MD Anderson;) I love her so much!

My husband, who has literally loved me through all the pain and is the most amazing caregiver anyone could hope to have; I love him so much and I'm going to miss him, since he can't always be with me while I'm going through the allogeneic transplant.

My mom, who is giving sacrificially of her time to be with me in Houston during the allogeneic transplant; she has a job and a life in Santa Fe, but she's coming to Houston as often as she can, since my "caregiver situation" is in a bit of a crisis

My son, who will actually be my sole caregiver (even though he's only 13) weekdays in the month of July; this makes me cry the most because I would never want this for him...even though he's willing and able to do it; I would give anything to keep him from having to sacrifice what every child deserves...a carefree summer...just for me. I love him so much! He's an amazing and capable boy!

There are so many others who helped me during the autologous, too. Ina, who took care of the animals for several weeks, even though she's very busy and has a lot of animals already. Not to mention, all people who came up with so many ideas to help me during the auto transplant. Thanks to my dad for coming for an entire week during the auto and for his willingness to help us out with payment of a caregiver, if it comes down to that. So many friends have also supported me in so many ways, from prayer to house watching. Thank you and may God bless you!

Before I finish, I wanted to let ya'll know my schedule from MD Anderson so far:

5/31/2007 Meet With Catheter Nurse 1PM
6/4/2007 Catheter Insertion 9AM
6/5/2007 Receive Lisa's Cells 2PM

I don't know Lisa's schedule yet, but I'll publish it as soon as I do. There are other pieces to the schedule that haven't been filled in, of course. For example, when will I get radiation? the bone marrow biopsy? etc. I'm sure by tomorrow it'll be clear. And there could still be changes.

For now, I'm making lists and preparations. If you'd like to help or have any ideas, please don't hesitate to e-mail me at swilder@ccccd.edu. Every little bit helps...and is such a blessing.

Please pray for Kirk's safety, since he'll be traveling on weekends to Houston. We've probably got the first three weeks of caregiving figured out...but if anyone's available the week of June 18th, it would bless us incredibly. Any other week, of course, after that is open, too. Like I said, I'd really like to spare Jacob having to be my sole caregiver!

No comments: