Sunday, February 18, 2007

Buying a Wig

About two weeks ago, I visited a highly recommended wig shop in Plano. Everyone was so nice, but....most of the wigs I tried on made me look and feel like an aging country western singer. That's when I realized: my high school punk-ass heart had somehow lingered on, enticing me to find what seemed NONEXISTENT in these cancer wig places--the pink, the blue, the Lepracaun green, or even the deep purple wig.

Then I heard from my doctor about another place in Lewisville. I wasn't hopeful, but decided if the place didn't have SOUL I'd forget the wig thing altogether.

I made an appointment for 3PM on Saturday. Jacob and Kirk decided to come with me.

It didn't take as long to drive to the place, so we ended up having time to catch some lunch at Super Salad. Since getting cancer, I've been on a quest to get Jacob to make healthier choices. Here's the plate he put together when I challenged him to "go healthy." What do you think?

Anyway, I'm coming off of steroids, so my choices didn't turn out so good. See what I had for desert...






At 3PM we made it to the wig shop. The first thing I noticed was how much at ease I felt. Kirk sat in the corner playing a game on his Blackberry, while Jacob entertained everyone. I was ushered into a little room, with my family following.

Wig after wig was tried on my head. Only straight hair wigs seemed to work. Bummer! I had such curly hair. He finally brought out a deep purple wig. It was lovely. Quite punk. But I knew it wouldn't work. I needed something I would actually wear.

Finally, I made my decision. I'm going back on Friday. On that day, the man will cut my hair short (because you don't want it to fall out long and you don't want to shave it--because it'll itch). Then, he'll cut the wig and fix it to fit my face.

I'll show pictures (if I dare) on that day.

No comments: