Sunday, February 11, 2007

More Dex, But No Velcade (For Now)


Despite this nasty head cold, I started today a new four-day round of Dexamethasone (generic form of Decadron.) I told myself I'd never take Dex again, since the withdrawal in December from taking it on and off for two months was terrible. It's only a maintenance dosage, however--less than I was taking before and only for four days. This is so I'll stay at .5 (or less) for the transplant. Monday, I'm to call my MDA transplant doctor and see if anything new has transpired concerning dates for the transplant. If it's coming soon, I won't need this month to take any Velcade (injected chemotherapy pictured above left.) Just the Dex (what my doctor calls "oral chemotherapy," pictured above right.)

I prayed over the pills this time. Something I learned from a therapist named Mike at the Wellness Place in MDA. I am believing that this will reduce the side effects, as he suggested it would. I've always prayed over the injections of Velcade, but hadn't thought of praying over the Dex. Praying over Velcade really worked, since I've had no hair loss, nausea or weakness lasting longer than one day from it.

For those of you who have continued to pray for me, thank you again.

If you were praying for discernment concerning the transplant, I am still seeking God about it. But I must say I've felt greater and greater peace about the transplant. I think I feared the transplant (like so many others in my situation) for what the injection of "major chemo" in the form of Melphalan has done to others who've taken it before me. But I can pray over the Melphalan, as well, and let God protect me.

Cancer has made me into something of a prayer warrior again, wouldn't you say? I mean, I've always enjoyed talking to God, but haven't for many years been in the habit of asking for so much from God since this cancer came along. At least, not for myself. In the past, I liked to pray for my family and friends, even for rain, but prayer for myself specifically...that's not been so common.

Whatever the case, for anyone taking pills or treatments of any kind, I recommend praying about it. I feel as if I may be in this situation because of prescription drugs I've taken in the past. (Listen to any commercial for pharmaceuticals carefully and you'll find that there's usually some risk of Lymphoma, a cancer related to MM.) If I could, right now, I'd stop taking meds altogether. But I'm sticking to the regimen three oncologysts have prescribed. When I'm done with these treatments, I'm off meds forever. They are just too dangerous for me. And, as far as I'm concerned, they may be too dangerous for human beings generally. (This is my alternative side talking now.)

With all this talk of praying over things and swearing off meds, you might think I've turned into some kind of fanatic. Well, guess what...it's true.

I guess the "free radicals" that caused this cancer have turned me into a radical myself. Rock on, Jesus.

(By the way, I love to read your comments on this blog. I feel much more connected that way.)

No comments: