Wednesday, February 7, 2007

MD Anderson Monthly Check-Up




Here am I. Back in the saddle again. Flew in last night, took a taxi from Hobby to the Rotary House where I stayed for the night. I am Kirkless until tonight when he drives in from Dallas. Gave blood specimens at 9AM this morning and here am I.

At 11AM I'm meeting with a "Social Worker." Back when I didn't know any better, I had an encounter with one of these overly nice shrinks (God bless 'em). I know they mean well, but, frankly, they creep me out. Too many questions about death, impotence, incontinence and need. I find myself fighting the urge to say something outrageous that will make them think I'm crazy. That's because I secretly believe that is there intent: to make sure I'm sane.

That should be interesting. Meanwhile, nothing interesting is really going on. Just all the ordinary weirdness that comes with visits to MD Anderson. For instance, I just got to hear every word of an elderly man's conversation on his cell phone because he's got it on BLAST and (apparently) doesn't know how to turn it down. Also, so far, I've received two calls on my cell phone from people asking for Mona. After some prodding (since I am rather bored,) I found out from the caller that this number was given out as a "hot lead". I didn't ask what she was selling, but told her I was not Mona. Another oddity about this trip: I completely forgot my toothbrush, toothpaste and deoderant. As I was packing yesterday at home, I remember saying to myself, "I always forget something, but not this time." Alas, it was not to be. Thankfully, I've got back up: Kirk is on his way this afternoon.

I'll find out Friday how low I am in my team's estimation of my blood counts. I'm looking forward to it.

If you have questions, you'd like me to ask Dr. Weber, please send them to swilder@ccccd.edu or place them as comments on my blog by Friday morning. I'll be sure to ask her at my appointment.

No comments: