Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Time Line for Autologous Transplant (Updated)

Week 1: Tests/Catheter/Labs/BM Biopsy/Doctor's Appointments
Week 2: Stem Cell Collection/High-Dose Chemotherapy
Week 3: Rest
Week 4: Transplant
Week 5-6: Follow up

The transplant coordinator called today and gave me my appointments for next week. She reminded me that one of the things I'll be doing is giving myself injections to start the mobilization of cells to my blood. This will make it possible for collection of stem cells to begin during week 2.

Stem-cell collection can take more or less time depending on how quickly the cells respond and mobilize to the blood. They need to collect a certain amount, so that also affects timing.

After the transplant, engraftment, or when white blood cells return to normal range, takes 8-14 days. During this time, in order to be discharged, my white blood counts, platelets and red blood counts must have recovered adequately.

MD Anderson always sends my appointments via My MDAnderson, a web-based appointment system. But they haven't given me any specific appointments, yet.

No comments: