Monday, February 12, 2007

Insomnia and Shoes

Can't sleep tonight, so I'm back to the shoes. All those shoes I once sold on E-Bay, now taking up space on my computer. Mostly Converse. Some Docs. Or vintage finds. Years ago, I delighted in the sale of a pair of vintage Converse, whose final bid was over $60, though they cost me only $2.50 at a Thrift store. Below are a few of the many pairs I never sold. Too busy teaching Humanities at the community college and working at UTD toward a Ph.D. In January, I gave away the Converse. It was a cold day. A bit of double vision deterred me only a little. But I determined to give the shoes to The Inn in McKinney. It's the only homeless shelter or shelter for runaways or shelter for anyone needing shelter all of Collin County. But I gave them the shoes because I had a debt to pay.

So I'm clear now. I've made restitution and I'm free. These are the things I think about when I can't sleep because of meds. Shoes beautiful shoes. Like wearable art for the feet.


And the experience of God I had in settling a debt. Freedom.

Funny story: I once sold a pair of leather super hi red hot Converse to a guy in London. He wrote me back to say, "These shoes are hooorrrny." I resolved that he was punk and laughed a lot about it.

So...welcome to Planet Sherry (on steroids)...

Sweet dreams to you, my beautiful shoes. May you bless many feet with your brilliance. May the paths you lead these feet down take them to happiness, prosperity and an experience of God. And let the path be gentle on the feet that walk in these shoes. Let it be gentle and peaceful, a good and easy journey. Then when these shoes bring them to their destination, may it be a healing place. In Jesus name. Amen.

"And miles to go before I sleep. And miles to go before I sleep."--Robert Frost

No comments: