Monday, February 12, 2007

Transplant (Near) Specifics

The transplant coordinator from Aetna called today to say I am now officially approved for the transplant. The official letter, she said, is going out in the morning mail to me and MD Anderson. When it is received, it's really official.

It looks as if the transplant will occur anywhere from one to two weeks. If it's one week, we'll head to Houston some time this weekend! If it's two weeks, the next weekend.

The apartment we liked the most--Brompton Courts--will not, however, be available until March 5th at 3PM. We'll most likely stay, then, for one/two weeks at an apartment complex next door to Brompton Courts that has availability now.

Jacob's Spring Break falls very conveniently on the week of March 12th, so he'll be in Houston then. But he will also (most likely) come to Houston for the week before to help with the move (and because I like having him around so much.) We are not taking much with us, but Jacob will certainly be a big help when it comes to setting up my computer there. I may not, at that point, be feeling very energetic since by then I will have had the high dose chemo injection. Jacob will be able to help most just by being there--with his constant source of youthful energy and joy.

Of course, Kirk, my sweetheart and love of my life, will be there the whole time, working his little heart out while trying to help me get through this. I thank God for him; he is such a wonderful man.

My mom will probably come to help, also, the week of Jacob's Spring Break. But this is not certain, as I've not had a chance to talk directly with her today.

The entire process will most likely take six weeks, but I've heard at least one person report as little as four weeks and another as much as ten. I'm sure I'll know soon from my transplant doctor or the MDA coordinator.

Above are two pictures of bone marrow cells. The one on the left is bone marrow with Myeloma clusters. The one on the right is healthy bone marrow. My focus is, of course, on the ultimate outcome of the transplant: that picture on the right, the healthy bone marrow.

But everything in between will come in small steps. First, I get a "port" inserted near my chest area in an out patient, but heavily sedated procedure. I met a guy at the Wellness Place who had just had his put in. He was fine, though the bump near his collar bone was like one of those sci-fi horror movies where a "bug" is somehow under the skin. It will help so much though with all the injections I'll be getting. I am tired of people messing with my veins (and, frankly, my veins are tired of people messing with them.) No more needles with a "port"!

My sister, in perfect timing, sent me (all of us, really) the most beautiful velvety rose flower arrangement. They are so perfect. Thank you, Lisa. What a nice surprise and so thoughtful!

No comments: