Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Love Day

Valentine's Day, 2007. A quiet day. A box of chocolates and other gifts are here from loved ones, making me feel supported. But such a quiet day. The news threatens snow, and snow it is for loved ones all over the North and other places that I can't keep up with.

Jacob and I On Vacation in CO (2004? Kirk is behind the camera.)


It is a quiet day to think about what love is.

In the past, my first answer was automatic. God is love, and love is God. But now I find myself drilling down on this assumption, asking God what love really is to God.

The answer is usually silence.

The truth is...I cannot hear or see God. I have seen and experienced evidence of God, but the true vision of God is in the experience of love...here on earth...day to day. So, in that aspect, love IS God. Since love when it comes at just the right moment, unexpectedly...embracing you in some poetic space that is really supernatural, if you think about it, then it IS God. What else can love be, when it comes out of nothing?

For God comes and came out of nothing.

But what of all this quiet. The human condition is, by default, quietness. Turn on the television, radio, music, your car engine...let all this roar push out the quiet, but it is all still there when the day is over and sleep comes. Quiet is the space of love, to me. I have come to learn this. It is knowing that, even though I cannot see God, I can feel God in the quiet.

This is the place I have come to. And I send you God's quiet spaces for you on this, the day of love.

Peace.

(By the way, if you're having trouble getting through on my SWILDER@ccccd.edu e-mail, it has been acting up lately. Try k-swilder@tx.rr.com. You will have better luck sometimes.)

No comments: