Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Apheresis: Day Two

Only about four hours on the machine. I was so tired from Nuepogen, I could've slept under a bridge. But the catheter kept clogging when I'd lay horizontal. I cannot sleep if I'm afraid I'm going to fall over. So I'd slip into a sitting up coma and awaken just in time to realize I wasn't really falling off the bed. Later Jacob got in bed with me, and we watched Star Trek together. But I never slept.

Bone aches are a very real and terrible side effect of this process. Today, I came armed with pain meds, which deadened the pain. That way I could sit still.

Jacob took over for during the first half so Kirk could do a meeting. Jacob did an awesome job. All Jacob has to do is lay is hand on the back of my neck or my arm and the pain disappears. He has a healing touch much like Kirk's. How blessed I am to have two guys with healing touch to watch over me.

My nurse, Tran, was terrific. Every day she shows me the bag of stem cells I've collected. It looks a lot like blood, but darker. She says I'm to call in the morning before my 9AM Nuepogen shot to see if I need to do another day of apheresis.

The next step is high dose chemo. So I'm not exactly eager to go on to the next step. I think I just want it to be over with.

Tonight, I actually feel pretty good. Thanks to pain pills and Ativan. And Jacob being here.

Jacob actually worked on two major projects right beside the bed during the apheresis. Such a good boy.



No comments: