Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Meaning of Life: Chris' Answer

That meaning of life question is something I've had bouncing around in my head since Mom passed last year. I still haven't come up with a good answer for the "meaning" of it all, but I read about an interview David Letterman did with musician Warren Zevon after he had been diagnosed with cancer and given 2 months to live. Letterman asked Zevon if there was anything he understood now, facing his own mortality, that he didn't before. Zevon replied, "Just how much you're supposed to enjoy every sandwich."

Right now, that "enjoy every sandwich" line is something that I am trying to remember as I go through my day to day life. You can't always be planning and worrying about tomorrow. If you do, you miss it all. Of course, no planning leads to park benches and soup lines. I'm trying to find that fine line between always living in the moment and always worrying about tomorrow. I think somewhere in between is where happiness lies.

As far as the "meaning", I really don't think it's something we are ever suppose to know. I think of it as the "answer" to life. I see life as a test. If you know the answer to the test before you take the class, how much are you really gonna learn ? I think we are suppose to learn all we can in Life 101.

Chris' mom, Coleen, passed away a year ago from cancer. Chirs is a beloved cousin of Kirk's. Thanks, Chris, for your words of wisdom on this, the one year anniversary of your mom's passing. I miss her very much, as I know the entire family does.

No comments: